The first the I did was crank this song on repeat, then I proceeded to step into a fire ant colony. No matter, power has brought much joy - I can now to laundry (and have my stuff be actually dry - not humid/damp!!!!), enjoy ice cold water (once I let the dirty water from the hurricane flush through first), and sleep in my own bed (aka...actually get some sleep). I've also got to get the house decent again, and clean out the fridge since everything thawed.
We ate at Slim goodies for breakfast, where it turns out they STILL don't have power. We got a plate of eggs, a piece of toast, hashbrowns, coffee and ice tea for $5. AND they had some of the best service I've ever had. On the way back, we saw a guy that put his mattress out front and spray painted a message on it, something like "Dear Entergy - Can we get some AC up in here? Love, Sweaty Guy". There was also an older guy with a saxophone just rockin out on the neutral ground.
Overall, I'm amazing at how well the city handles everything. Power is lost, nobody has AC, but people just deal with it and get on with their lives. Even with no traffic lights, people quickly adapted to a 4-way stop policy. You can tell who is still without power at this point by the tired look in their eyes.
It was an experience, but I don't want to do it again. I was rejuvenated after my trip from Mexico, now I just feel exhausted.
No comments:
Post a Comment